D on quora ...

Jerry hurricane at hereiam.com
Mon Oct 16 02:10:31 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 16:29:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>>> If all that is already available, perfect :)
>> [snip]
>>> And moreover I'd be delighted to start using D instead of Go
>>> for my next web server developments.
>>
>> You can start now and get performance later? In fact you may
>> supply important benchmarks from your day to day usage.
>
> Ok. Still not convinced to use D instead of C++ for my personal
> use cases (games and other soft real-time apps), but I get the
> idea.

I switched my personal game to D from C++. Was easy, most of it
was just copy paste. I was writing a math library to replace the
one I was using to make it a bit more light way and to fit my
needs a bit more. I didn't like how some thing were implemented
in the library I was using. So I started with templates, I need
multiple types and what not for the same purpose. At some point I
have a function that needs to take 2 different template types.
It starts to get so convoluted, order matters cause C++ still
just uses copy-paste-includes and I don't think modules made it
into C++17. I wrote the same library in half the code, in a way
that's more readable and manageable. I didn't have to define
things so that they would work, I could define them logically the
way I'd expect them to be. Mixins also reduced code quite a bit,
generating functions for different types and dimensions. Even
though you have constexpr if statements now you still need to
define all the function bodies even if they all can go in one
function body now.