D on quora ...

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 05:20:16 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 at 20:24:02 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>> database access (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Aerospike) libraries are
>>> available,
>>
>> That is important actually.
>>

> So important that it should be a Priority 0 Must Have.

Luckily it should also be quite strightforward to write them. At
minimum there would be a C, Go, Java and Python “driver” to look
at.

Also surprisingly, D has superior driver for MySQL that talks
native binary protocol while most other languages use the text
mode.

>>> preferably as a standard library (like in Dart and Go).
>>
>> Can’t do that. And it’s not standard in Go and Dart but
>> packages, dub
>> should work for that.
>>

> I've been thinking about this question a LOT, and I'm not
> convinced it's impossible to put the DB libs into the standard

Problem is - the development of std has glacial pace. Even if you
put say Aerospike in std, I don’t think it’s in our best interest
to have stagnated DB libs. DBs add features and ship new versions
all the time.

What might work is JDBC style approach - having a common
interface in std with implementations in 3rd party. SQL might
work this way.

NoSQL though is highly irregular and benefits primarily from
features unique to a particular vendor.