Will D continu to live after walter death?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Mon Oct 16 11:09:06 UTC 2017

On Monday, 16 October 2017 at 09:03:56 UTC, Rion wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 15:04:57 UTC, moechofe wrote:
>> What is the wanted lifetime of the project?
>> Is D will manage to pass through time?
>> It is valuable to start a 40 years old project using D?
>
> Its a serious topic but that gets way too much joking.
>
> While D is part of the foundation, that is not the issue. It is
> leadership, focus, goals, long term vision ... There are not
> that many people that can take over that task successfullly.
>
> I noticed its all a joke to people. Posted in a other topic
> about the fragmented nature of D and the high focus on solo
> developers. And the issue of what happens if a main developer
> of a extension has no more time or god forbids dies. That same
> applies to D as a language.
>
> That D is in a Foundation means nothing. Apple without Jobs is
> still Apple but you can see the difference in there products
> after his dead.

People can joke about an issue, and still take it as being
serious.
Consider the poor comedians if that were not the case.

And btw. you can't compare Apple(s) with oranges ;-)

Also, what happens to all the Windows users, if Microsoft goes
out of business?

There is no such thing as 'risk free' software development?

Being open-source, having a growing (volunteer) community, and
encouraging that community to grow further, is the open-source
way of managing those risks. And that is *exactly* what the
'Foundation' is focused on.

It's all fairly new... be patient and give it time to grow.