D on quora ...

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:17:29 UTC 2017

On Monday, 16 October 2017 at 09:31:51 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>>> Btw, when I say you can actually develop complete web servers
>>> in Dart and Go just with the components provided in the
>>> standard libraries, I really mean it, even if I personally
>>> also
>>
>> I programmed in Go.
>> I also was part of Dart team for about a year.
>> So yeah, I know what you mean.
>>

> Ok, then please can you explain why you say about web
> development libraries that "it’s not standard in Go and Dart",

Web development for me is usually a fair bit more then:
Register a bunch of handler functions that do Http Request ->
Http Response
( Go std lib cira 2015)

There is templating, routing, some kind of ORM (sick) / ODM /
DAO, access-control, authorization, marshaling, these things.

I recognize some of these have simple versions in Go’s std lib
like templates and json serialization.

My point is not that http server is not bundled but rather that
for me “whole http server” would imply some backend work i.e. DB
drivers and other 3rd party stuff.

Go projects I worked on pulled in a great amount of these. Too
much I’d say. There is a package for everything in Go or so it
seems.

> as you are probably the most informed person on that subject
> from the whole D community.
>
> For instance, the web server behind my personal web site is
> EXCLUSIVELY based on Go's standard library, nothing else was
> used...

I just double checked and yes, you can’t do SQL without database
“driver” package.

So I’m really curious how you get by without it... Files/REST API?

> And moreover its code is incredibly concise and performant.
> Great job from Google engineering teams...

They have very nice runtime since around 1.6. Can’t agree on
consie part, Go always looks verbose and repetative, a bit like
Java 1.2. Dart also features quite capable JIT and runtime, in
contrast to Go it’s quite concise but more high-level.