[OT] Re: Why Physicists Still Use Fortran

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Oct 16 17:56:12 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 10:09:04PM -0700, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>    On 15 Oct. 2017 6:40 pm, "Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d"
>    <[1]digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
[...]
>      I don't want to even try 1 based. All my learned behaviors with
>      arrays would just produce corrupt code.
>
>      It's why I don't dare try driving in England.
>
>    Haha, incidentally, I've just moved to LA, and I'm failing to
>    convince myself I won't die if I try and drive here ;) .. I'm still
>    chickening out.
[...]

I've driven in LA before, even though I don't live there.  It's not half
as bad as people make it sound.  You just have to know the driving
culture of the place and act accordingly, that is, be assertive and
clear exactly what your intention is, and do not hesitate once you make
a decision.  Or, in more practical terms, know what you want, and *take*
it.  LA drivers know how to read the cues -- as long as you follow
through with what they think you will do.  It's when you waver and send
mixed signals that it gets dangerous.  They hate it when you look like
you're unsure, and it tends to make them angry and more aggressive.

Of course, this does not preclude safety considerations; in fact, it
means that you have to be absolutely sure what you want (and the safety
of what you want) before you even begin, lest you find yourself in a
dangerous situation with no safe way out.

What do you call optometrist jokes? Vitreous humor.