D on quora ...

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:02:16 UTC 2017

On Monday, 16 October 2017 at 17:17:29 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:

>>> I programmed in Go.
>>> I also was part of Dart team for about a year.
>>> So yeah, I know what you mean.
>>>

>> Ok, then please can you explain why you say about web
>> development libraries that "it’s not standard in Go and Dart",
>
> Web development for me is usually a fair bit more then:
> Register a bunch of handler functions that do Http Request ->
> Http Response
> ( Go std lib cira 2015)
>
> There is templating, routing, some kind of ORM (sick) / ODM /
> DAO, access-control, authorization, marshaling, these things.
>
> I recognize some of these have simple versions in Go’s std lib
> like templates and json serialization.
>
> My point is not that http server is not bundled but rather that
> for me “whole http server” would imply some backend work i.e.
> DB drivers and other 3rd party stuff.
>
> Go projects I worked on pulled in a great amount of these. Too
> much I’d say. There is a package for everything in Go or so it
> seems.
>
>> as you are probably the most informed person on that subject
>> from the whole D community.
>>
>> For instance, the web server behind my personal web site is
>> EXCLUSIVELY based on Go's standard library, nothing else was
>> used...
>
> I just double checked and yes, you can’t do SQL without
> database “driver” package.
>
> So I’m really curious how you get by without it... Files/REST
> API?
>

>> And moreover its code is incredibly concise and performant.
>> Great job from Google engineering teams...
>
> They have very nice runtime since around 1.6. Can’t agree on
> consie part, Go always looks verbose and repetative, a bit like
> Java 1.2. Dart also features quite capable JIT and runtime, in
> contrast to Go it’s quite concise but more high-level.

If you had tried my website you would have noticed that it's a
static web site, so no SQL was harmed during its production ;)

And to be 100% honest with you, indeed I actually don't program
in Go but in my own proprietary language which emits Go code from
a syntax similar to my Phoenix language, hence the "concise"
adjective.

(it's here if you are curious about it :
https://github.com/senselogic/PHOENIX)

Additionally to the Phoenix-like syntax, Helix allows me to use
Allman style, macro-based genericity (through multi-token
substitution), which is nice, even if several Go fanatics have
explained me in a not so kind manner how and why it would silly
and useless to do that, as Go is already perfect.

(I had the same remarks from PHP coders for Phoenix btw).

But I don't care, it's my own personal language, and since one of
Go's designed has decided to piss over me twice (guess who), I've
decided to keep it for me and let the Go community program the
way they want, i.e. by using slow-as-hell interfaces for
everything or repeatedly copy-paste-modify the same lines of
code...

And YES, despite their flaws, I still think that Dart and Go are
by far the best web development languages we have right now,
especially compared to PHP and JavaScript/Node.js.