What is the Philosophy of D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 07:48:43 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 00:05:06 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> Again, philosophy != religion. Why do these terms get confused
> so much?

I didn't mean they would be. I think that "D is not a religion"
means that whatever philosophy it has it is not cast in stone.
Not that it has no philosophy.

Like you said, a certain kind of freedom is probably 1# in D
philosophy but that does not mean it's the only part. Other
thinkgs I could think of for example:

-Let the programmer take charge, but make sure he's aware of it
when doing so.

-In "normal" code, first safety, then correctness, then
performance, then expressiveness. Allow the user to shuffle this
order but don't encourage it.

-Don't strive for absolute minimalism, but aim for, in
Alexandrescus words, "power-to-weight-ratio".