AWS SDK

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:28:30 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 11:11:35 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 01:32:51 UTC, Ky-Anh Huynh
> wrote:

>>> I've started talking with a few of the aws sdk engineers
>>> (some of who I worked with when I was there) today about
>>> their sdk and the tooling involved.  It might not be a
>>> horrible job to add another language to the mix.  I'm going
>>> to meet with them and dig through some of the tooling to get
>>> a better feel for it.
>>>
>>> Later,
>>> Brad
>>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Do we have any good update on this?
>>
>> I'm writting my devops tools in Dlang now (Golang is too hot
>> to use, isn't it:D). It's a great win if we can have AWS SDK
>> support.
>>
>> I'm not a master however if there is any thing I can help,
>> please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks for your reading.
>
> Hi,
>
> for an inhouse project I developed a generator which generates
> based on the API definitions from here
> https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-js/tree/master/apis
> classes for the services and structures for the input/output
> requests.
>

>     auto client = new AwsClient();
>     auto dynamoDBService = new DynamoDBService(client);
>
>     CreateTableInput request = {
>             tableName: "zapp-test1",
>             provisionedThroughput: {
>                 readCapacityUnits: 1,
>                 writeCapacityUnits: 1
>             },
>             attributeDefinitions: [
>                 {attributeName: "A", attributeType:
> ScalarAttributeType.S},
>                 {attributeName: "B", attributeType:
> ScalarAttributeType.S}
>             ],
>             keySchema: [
>                 {attributeName: "A", keyType: KeyType.HASH}
>             ]
>         };
>
>     dynamoDBService.createTable(request);
>

> Actually the generated classes do not call AWS directly but
> uses the AWS console client.
> Unfortunately the generator is proprietary.
> The good thing is, it was easily written within 4-5 hours.
>
> PS. Almost every service was working out of the box except EMR.
> There is a difference between the EMR commands / parameters in
> the API definitions and in the AWS console client.
>
> Kind regards
> André

What's up with proprietary stuff in this? At least give us the
setup for us to generate the apis on our own if you have your
private stuff in there. I have been waiting for a D AWS SDK for
"years"... At least any cloud SDK. The generated api approach
seem like the way to go cus its a lot of work to build and
maintain a D API by hand.

I wanted to just do an S3 api plus some few services to use in
some of our microservices. We opted to use Nodejs because it
already has all the Cloud SDK for almost every provider.
Technically D is much better...

You know, cloud and microservices is the way to build any
"scalable" server-side services in 2017 yet it seem those using D
for server-side dev are still writing monoliths.