My two cents

Fra Mecca me at francescomecca.eu
Thu Oct 19 06:50:12 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 16:45:33 UTC, Ali wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 08:56:21 UTC, Satoshi wrote:
>> For me, it seems like Walter is solving edge case problems
>> like return ref parameters and return functions but is unable
>> to add some basic stuff.
>>

>> Thanks for your time.
>> - Satoshi
>
> well, i've been following this forum for a while now
> and i remember seeing posts by either Walter or Andrei
> Alexandrescu, saying something in the sense
> that D, has become too big, and is not being used to its full
> potential
> i.e. the usage of the existing features is not being exploited
> to their maximum potential
>
> and they were sort of hoping, the user community will start to
> develop "idioms" around what exist already
> instead of adding more features
>
> i am not sure how much of what you use can be fulfilled with
> "idioms"
> and i think Walter's or Andrei's intention seems fair
>
> but then again, i agree with you, it is hard to push for idioms
> as the expense of conveniance features
> when you dont have the user mass yet
>
> unfortunately D probably need to keep adding features, until it
> find its mass

I agree with what is being said.

For example async is totally doable with the current level of
control that D gives you.

The problem in my opinion is the ecosystem.
We miss a build system that is tailored towards enterprises and
there is so much work to do with libraries (even discovery of
them) and documentation by examples.