My first experience as a D Newbie

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 08:36:55 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 at 08:22:17 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 October 2017 at 06:32:10 UTC, Ecstatic Coder
> wrote:
>> And the definitive answer about that is of course something
>> like "Hey man, it's open source, it's all made by volunteers
>> on their free time, so it must be complicated, what did you
>> expect ?" and "Make all the changes by yourself if you don't
>> like it the way it is.".
>>
>> Seriously ?
>>

> I remember myself saying the exact same thing back in the early
> nineties...when linux and freebsd were just becoming
> popular....boy...if you think installing dmd is headache, take
> a trip back in time.
>

>> OK, message received. If putting two download links per
>> detected platform on the main page is too much work for the
>> volunteers who maintains the landing page, so let's keep it
>> the way it is. I have a lot of work and a family life too, no
>> problem...
>
> That's a great idea. Go create a website to specifically target
> 'DMD for beginners'. Become a contributor. Let others know what
> you did, to make things work. Because that is the way..things
> are most likely to get done, in the open source community... by
> contributing.
>
> In the end, "..those that need to know...do know."

I agree. I had this mindset once, but now I'm completely
demotivated, and you now know because of what and who.

For instance here I answer to the prior post, and some guy
attacks me once again on something weeks ago. Very kind.

I was just saying that the advice on the above post, asking
people to stop using Windows and use FreeBSD etc, is not what
Windows scripters need and want.

They just want to be able to do three things as quickly and
obviously as possible :
- download the D compiler setup.exe
- download the D IDE setup.exe
- compile and run test code

Easily, no worries, simple "plug-n-play" installation.

That's not a lot to ask.

But read the start of this thread, and you will see that's
currently not as easy and obvious as it should be.

Hence my suggestion to better show them the "easy road" with DMD
and CoEdit, plus a few explanations after download : Click here
to create empty file, type this hello-word code below, and click
here to compile and run.