My two cents

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 16:36:28 UTC 2017

On Friday, 20 October 2017 at 15:38:53 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:

> Something I want to have for quite a while is a free-form poll
> for features, maybe running 2 weeks or so, to get a better
> understanding of community priorities.

Maybe once a quarter, ;)

It might help to have some sense of how the main devs time on D
is being used. Not in any kind of exact way, more hand-wavy. For
instance, if w% of their time is on fixing bugs, x% on
maintenance, y% on working towards safety, z% on other stuff they
are already doing that I'm not included, then time spent on new
features or syntax has to come from somewhere of that. What do
you reduce your time on to implement them? That's where it gets
tricky. Is elvis operator more important than improving
safe/scope/nogc/etc, I think most would say no.

This is the economic way of looking at things. Taking the number
of devs and the hours they spend on D as given, how they spend
that time is an allocation problem. Walter and Andrei and Martin
have in their heads some ideas about what is the best approach.
However, when you think of resources (dev D) as finite, then
someone would need to be able to show that the new features or
syntax are more important than the other things that they are
already working on. That's why DIPs.