D for microservices

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sun Oct 22 02:48:57 UTC 2017

I just read the following two week-old comment on the ldc issue
tracker, when someone tried to run D on Alpine linux:

"For now everything works(?) but I think the process could be
improved.. Would be really cool to have LDC easily building
alpine containers + static D binaries for microservice and
tooling development. I'm pretty tired of reading Go code :)"
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2341#issuecomment-334626550

It strikes me that microservices are a great way for new
programming languages like D to get tried and gain some uptake,
but that D might not be that easy to deploy to that scenario yet.

So this is a question for those deploying microservices, as I'm
not in that field, what can the D devs do to make it as easy as
possible to get D microservices up and running, make some Docker
and Alpine containers with ldc/dub/vibe.d preinstalled publicly
available?  What else, what kinds of libraries do you normally
use?

This is a niche that D and all newer languages should target.
How do we do it?