My two cents

Guillaume Piolat contact at spam.com
Mon Oct 23 11:23:18 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 08:56:21 UTC, Satoshi wrote:
> dub is great for simple solutions but useless in big projects
> with multiple targets, configurations, etc.

Works here. Closed source can be handled with path-based
dependencies and private checkouts.

Configurations are handled by... dub configurations.
Targets? by dub targets.

> Still cannot easily develop closed source dlls on Windows. On
> Linux every symbol is public by default, but on Windows not so
> it's needed to export them manually.

Not anymore, you can use the "export" keyword for Windows (eg
with LDC >= 1.2).

Every-symbol-public-by-default in Posix is annoying though :)

> For me, it seems like Walter is solving edge case problems like
> return ref parameters and return functions but is unable to add
> some basic stuff.

Because **everyone has its own, different opinion of what the
"basic stuff which is absolutely needed" is**, and adding all of
that would be 3x the size of D and unpleasant.
For starters, some of us would like stuff to be _removed_, not
added.

It's like a tradition: each new generation of D users ask for the
additional, "must-have" features of the day.