My two cents

flamencofantasy flamencofantasy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 16:02:56 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 at 05:40:06 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 at 04:26:42 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>[...]
>
> I’ll throw in my 2 rubbles.
>
> I actually worked on a VM that has async/await feature built-in
> (Dart language).
> It is a plain syntax sugar for Future/Promise explicit
> asynchrony where async automatically return Future[T] or
> Observable[T] (the latter is async stream).
>
> [...]

This is exactly what async/await in C# does.
I saw this idea in Jeffry Richter's Power Threading library
(https://github.com/Wintellect/PowerThreading) sometime in the
mid/late 2000, where he used the C# 'yield' keyword to generate
the state machine code. When async/await was added MSFT either
took his idea directly or at the very least got inspired by it.