My two cents

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Oct 24 19:45:45 UTC 2017

On Monday, October 23, 2017 13:18:21 Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Monday, 23 October 2017 at 11:39:58 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> >> Every-symbol-public-by-default in Posix is annoying though :)
> >
> > We agreed on hidden visibility by default for everything that's
> > not exported.
> > This requires export to be fixed on non-Windows machines first.
>
> This is especially interesting since hidden visibility for most
> symbols is required to make -dead_strip effective (strips most of
> the object code here).

There are good technical reasons for requiring export, but man do I hate
having to deal with it when doing Windows development in C++. It is _so_
nice to not have to care when working on *nix codebases in C++ and so
annoying to deal with it when I have to worry about Windows that I lean
heavily towards not wanting export to be required in D even if there are
some definite technical problems with it. I've never had good things to say
about having to export stuff on Windows, no matter the language.

- Jonathan M Davis