What is the Philosophy of D?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Wed Oct 25 22:29:34 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 at 18:12:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> Actually, I think D has put way too much emphasis on C
> compatibility. That's an area where Rust got something right by
> not trying to be a C superset a priori.

Personally, I think D's emphasis on C compatability is one of its
primary strengths.

C still rules the world, and does so for a good reason.
Programmers like the freedom that C provides. Systems programming
languages need the freedom that C provides. Many 'new' languages
simply wan't to take it away. They just don't get it.

The only reason I like D, is because it doesn't focus on
jettisoning the freedom of C, but rather offers you ways to do C
like stuff, safer and better...and throws in a lot more
too...it's not an easy balance to get, but it does it really well.

It is essentially the C++ we should have had.

The world needs D, much more than it needs Rust.( the writing is
already on the wall for Rust .. IMHO).

I notice that D is not even listed on stack overflows 2017
'developers most loved languages':

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted

It's not because programmers don't like it. They just don't know
about it..yet ;-)

Once the word really gets out though, it will be D's ecosystem
that will decide its path forward...