D for microservices

Cym13 cpicard at openmailbox.org
Thu Oct 26 01:40:29 UTC 2017

On Monday, 23 October 2017 at 12:13:12 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> And on the other hand, for deployment, it's much easier to copy
> over one binary.  (In a sense it's funny that the question was
> asked in the context of containers, because containers are kind
> of an alternative to having a single binary).  When you're
> properly set-up of course it doesn't matter, but when you're
> moving towards that, a single binary is much easier.

A bit OT but this part made me think of [1] of which you may
appreciate the insight. Right now I kind of feel like with D we
get the downside in size of fat binaries without the upside in
portability (although solutions exist for the dedicated and
patient ones). This might proove an important drawback in the
future... we'll see.

[1]:
http://www.smashcompany.com/technology/why-would-anyone-choose-docker-over-fat-binaries