Note from a donor

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:59:13 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 at 11:32:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> A wizard-style installation with links to things and a good
> flow might help a lot here. Is that possible? -- Andrei

The installer currently offers to install VS 2013. A more recent
version might be better for some people, but I don't think it
would have done anything for me. Just the idea that it's
necessary would be a turn off. These days especially I'm less
inclined to try new things if the slightest hurdle is presented
simply because I put a higher premium on my time than I used to.

More broadly, I think in 2017 it's still true that serious
Windows developers/shops will have VS installed, but there's no
guarantee that anyone developing on Windows is a "Windows
developer". With the myriad languages and VMs to choose from,
they're don't even have to be aware that VS exists. Anything that
hides the dependency from them in a way the minimizes the install
would be a win.