Note from a donor

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 27 02:34:13 UTC 2017

On 10/26/17 5:23 AM, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 10/26/17 7:09 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> I also didn't like that I had to install the Xcode tools on my Mac, but that's needed for any
>> development on Mac from what I can see.
>
> Want to hear something scary? The autotester does not use xcode tools :)
>
> In fact, I've been meaning to bug Brad about checking to see if things have improved (xcode's
> compiler used to generate a dmd that would fail some of the tests). I've never used gnu gcc, only
> ever Xcode's compiler (which is llvm).
>
> -Steve

Actually, one of the 3 macos boxes is using stock xcode tooling these days.  I specifically went
that direction when setting up a new system that replaced one that died on me (well, it boots but if
I actually _use_ it it crashes, sigh).

So, but on the older osx releases (not positive the exact versions off the top of my head) there
were issues that forced us back to an old gcc version rather than the default clang compiler.