Note from a donor

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 03:45:02 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 at 03:00:16 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> ... I rewrote our build stuff so that it was all generated with
> cmake. Then editing the build was the same on both platforms,
> and building was _almost_ the same. I didn't even need to open
> up VS anymore - for configuration or for building. It was
> glorious.
>
> I expect that it's the sort of thing that would annoy many
> Windows devs though, because the fact that the VS files were
> generated meant that you couldn't make changes in VS and have
> it stick (which from my perspective was great, but for a
> hardcore Windows person, probably not so much).

Never heard of anyone who is annoyed by cmake/vs combo. Quite the
opposite, there is an issue with "true" hardcore Linux devs who
cannot into cmake. They stuck with autotools, which is not an
option on Windows. This especially true for any C projects, and
also the fact that we stuck with C89 on Windows. And another side
of the problem is commercial middleware carp which distributed as
VS projects only and only supports some "ancient" VS version,
though I can't remember such examples.