Note from a donor

codephantom me at noyb.com
Sat Oct 28 15:36:38 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 at 15:18:07 UTC, Mengu wrote:
> with mac os x, we have to download gbs of command line tools
> library before getting started with any development. if we want
> to build anything for ios or mac we have to download 5gb xcode.
> with a fast internet, you get that in a matter of minutes. i
> don't believe that should be a show stopper or maybe i am
> missing your point.

Yeah..sadly, we don't have fast internet here in Australia.

1GB takes about an hour (presuming house mate not online ;-)

And I have a typically average connection.

Just the build tools alone (without the VS IDE and stuff), took
almost 4 hours for me to download. And all I wanted to do, was
compile some D code into a 64bit binary.

If I were on a mobile wireless internet connection, my next bill
would send me into bankruptcy! (lucky I'm on landline connection).

I guess if it took seconds, I'd have a bit less to complain about
;-)

But if you really are missing my point..then let me state it more
clearly...

(1) I don't like waiting 4 hours to download gigabytes of crap I
don't actually want, but somehow need (if I want to compile 64bit
D that is).

(2)I like to have choice.

A fast internet might help with (1).

(2) seems out of reach (and that's why I dont' and won't be using
D on Windows ;-)

(being a recreational programmer, I have that luxury..I
understand that others do not, but that's no reason for 'some' to
dismiss my concerns as irrelevant. They're relavent to me, and
that's all that matters ;-)