D for microservices

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 17:26:49 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 at 14:55:25 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 October 2017 at 02:48:57 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I just read the following two week-old comment on the ldc
>> issue tracker, when someone tried to run D on Alpine linux:
>>
>> "For now everything works(?) but I think the process could be
>> improved.. Would be really cool to have LDC easily building
>> alpine containers + static D binaries for microservice and
>> tooling development. I'm pretty tired of reading Go code :)"
>> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2341#issuecomment-334626550
>>
>> It strikes me that microservices are a great way for new
>> programming languages like D to get tried and gain some
>> uptake, but that D might not be that easy to deploy to that
>> scenario yet.
>>
> Its the future.

Highly doubt that. It really depend on the scale of your
operations.

> Netflix, Google, Facebook, etc. all have open source tools
> around microservices. Its currently ruled by JavaScript > Go >
> Java. JavaScript being the leader.
>
> They have these in common:
> 1. Easy to deploy their code in docker containers including
> alpine Linux.

Interestingly while Docker may seem all the rage in startups I
find its use limited to test environments in the real world.

Also Java fat jars were super easy to deploy ages before docker.
They are also a great deal smaller.

> 2. They have APIs for major cloud services. Both official and
> third-party.
> 3. Good support for networking. HTTP, Websockets, IPC*, etc.
> Mostly HTTP.

Honestly APIs these days can be written in anything that is able
to put together a few HTTP responses. Unless you are doing
serious work like:
- DBs
- Search engines
- ML pipelines
- Real-time event processing systems

Any semimodern language/technology with a several hosts can
manage to saturate 1Gbit link. Some take a certain amount of
tuning others work out of the box. If you go for 40gbit/s it may
be important to choose the right technology otherwise it’s all a
matter of taste.