Note from a donor

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Oct 29 16:25:35 UTC 2017

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 16:14:11 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2017 at 02:39:21 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> > On Sunday, 29 October 2017 at 02:09:31 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> >
> > What I am, is:
> >
> > anti-bloat
> > anti-too-many-unecessary-dependencies
> > anti
> > you-have-no-choice-but-to-download-GB's-stuff-you-really-don't-need
>
> How exactly do you know this? You never justify it! We are living
> in an age where we have terabytes harddrives! Hell, I even recall
> that gdb needs python for some strange reason, in my linux
> machines. I don't know WHY it requires it, but I wouldn't jump to
> conclusions and think it as "unnecessary-dependencies" simply
> because I don't understand the rational behind it.

Really, it doesn't matter. Yes, it would be great if VS didn't take up as
much space as it does. It would be great if Microsoft released stuff with
the idea that the core compiler command-line tools were what mattered, and
the IDE was just an add-on for those who care. I'm sure that we could all
come up with reasons to complain about what Microsoft is doing - _lots_ of
geeks love to complain about Microsoft.

What matters is that D needs to be able to link and interoperate with C/C++
code generated by Microsoft's compiler, because that's the primary compiler
for Windows systems and what most everyone is using if they're developing on
Windows. If we can do that in a way that minimizes what needs to be
downloaded, then great. If we can't, then well, that sucks, but that's life.

While complaining about what Microsoft is doing with VS may be justified, it
doesn't really help anything. I think that we'd all be better off if we just
let this topic die.

- Jonathan M Davis