Note from a donor

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sun Oct 29 18:52:06 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 29 October 2017 at 10:21:22 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
> To conclude: if D wants to cater to that crowd, it will have to
> bite the bullet and make the Windows experience even smoother
> than it is now. You won't overcome Windows dev's Stockholm
> syndrome otherwise and Windows devs, should also peg down a
> little bit and learn that MS's way of doing things is far from
> being ideal (bloat, loss of control, changing specs every 3
> years, programmed obsolescence (Active-X anyone?)).

Or better yet, don't bother with a dying platform full of whiny
devs who are helpless without an IDE.  One of D's strengths is
that it isn't architected for IDE-driven development and the
oft-resulting verbosity, that's a market D should probably just
leave alone.  Instead, focus on the current major platform which
lets you use almost any toolchain you want:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/xgiwhblmkvcgnsktjnoo@forum.dlang.org

Of course, it is admirable what Rainer and others do to maintain
VisualD and other D tools for the Windows platform.  I just don't
see it mattering much in the next decade.