[OT] Windows dying

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:30:12 UTC 2017

On Monday, 30 October 2017 at 08:21:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> That's funny, because you're the only one using that routine.
> I've linked to extensive data showing that Windows is already
> dying in the thread that I gave you, specifically my first and
> last posts in that thread.  You seem not to be able to follow
> such links and data, as you not only don't acknowledge but
> seemingly flatly deny the ongoing PC sales decline?  The
> collapse is next.

I don't see why anyone would deny a PC sales decline, but it
doesn't imply a collapse. I would expect more of a decline and
then a stabilization. One reason is that the enterprise market is
slow moving and a big component of PC sales. I dispute that the
average white collar worker isn't going to be doing a bunch of
work in Word/Excel/PowerPoint on a laptop or desktop ten years
from now. Maybe twenty years from now, I don't know?

I'm not really sure what the point of all this is. I have no
intention of doing data analysis on a smart phone any time in the
next ten years. I don't see why anyone would. So my main use case
for D is probably not going anywhere. And I get stuck using
Windows at work because everything's slow moving and there's no
way I'm gonna be switching to Linux there. The whole Windows is
dying is too far off to be relevant to things I need to actually
accomplish.