[OT] Windows dying

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Oct 30 18:05:46 UTC 2017

On Monday, 30 October 2017 at 17:35:51 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 30 October 2017 at 16:50:42 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> No, it happens when they streamline and automate their entire
>> workflow much more, to the point where they aren't using
>> antiquated document systems anymore:
>>
>> http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/5/21/office-messaging-and-verbs
>>
>> I've never written a single document in the entire time I've
>> contributed to the D open source project.  That's because we
>> replace that ancient document workflow with forums, email,
>> gitter, bugzilla, git, and github, some of which is also
>> fairly old tech, but not nearly so as typing up a bunch of
>> documents or spreadsheets.
>>
>> Of course, the D OSS project isn't a business, but the point
>> is made in that linked post: most businesses are also about to
>> transition away from that doc workflow altogether, where they
>> simply replaced a bunch of printed documents and balance
>> sheets with digital versions of the _same_ documents over the
>> last couple decades.  It's time for them to make the true
>> digital transition, or they will lose out to those who did and
>> became more efficient for it.
>>
>> Lyft and Uber are merely two public examples of the leading
>> edge of this wave.
>>

> You're making a broader point about Lyft and Uber that I agree
> with. Automating certain things and providing a digital
> platform has been very successful for them. But taxicab
> companies switching from Excel to Google docs wouldn't have
> solved anything for them. Taxicab companies in London and other
> places have found better ways to adapt (excepting through
> increased regulations) by offering their own apps to compete.
>
> Similarly, the investment management industry (my industry) has
> seen a large increase in the share of passive management over
> the past 10 years (and a corresponding decline in the share of
> active management). Switching from Excel to Google docs is
> irrelevant. There are broader competitive forces at work.
>
> Now, these competitive forces have been shaped by
> computer-driven investing and a reduction in costs. So in this
> sense, your broader point has validity, but perhaps the way you
> were expressing it with regard to Office vs. Google Docs was
> not convincing.

That's because I never made that Office/Docs comparison in the
first place, I merely gave an example of someone plausibly
replacing their current Windows/Excel workflow with Android/Docs
in a decade.  The operative comparison there is mobile Android
versus desktop/laptop Windows, Docs doesn't even matter as Excel
also runs on mobile.

I was talking about the mobile shift being so big that it takes
out a host of Windows PC-driven shops.  I also tangentially
mentioned that I don't think people will be using Office _or_
Docs in a decade, which is the bigger shift you seemed to want to
explore, so I expanded on it.

Lyft and Uber are particularly apposite because they've ridden
both shifts to quick success.

>> Do those Python/Numpy users have the level of VS or other
>> Windows IDE support that D currently doesn't?
>
> You don't need VS with Python/Numpy, but python has a large
> number of IDEs available. I haven't used them, but they are
> there. The only thing I ever used was Ipython notebooks, which
> became Jupyter.

Never used Jupyter but I see that it's a webapp, so it should
work fine on mobile, or as a frontend for a cloud instance.