Deimos X11 bindings license question

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 5 11:12:23 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 5 September 2017 at 16:32:47 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 September 2017 at 16:10:11 UTC, Gary Willoughby
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few years ago I forked the Deimos X11 bindings[1] repo to
>> add dub support. Since then my repo[2] has received bug fixes
>> and as such it's being used in many projects. (Also, in the
>> following years dub support was added to the Deimos repo too.)
>> I had a question from a developer as to the license of the
>> code in my repo. I used the LGPL because the original used it.
>>
>> My question, is there a legal way to change the current
>> license to Boost or MIT or something like? Because this
>> particular developer wanted to use it in a project where LGPL
>> was incompatible.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/libX11
>> [2]: https://github.com/nomad-software/x11
>
> +1 for getting away from the GPL.  Though I understand the
> sentiment coming from the FSF, the practical consequences of
> using GPL licenses is restricting the users of your
> library/application.  By going to a non-restrictive license
> like you suggest (Boost/MIT), it will allow the code to be used
> by anyone, instead of just those who conform to the GPL.
>
> I'm assuming this is why you're trying to move to another
> license, I thought I would explicitly state this in the thread
> so as to educate others on the reasons why they may or may not
> want to use the GPL in their own projects.

But LGPL and GPL are very different licenses. Also, while I don't
have time to participate in yet another debate on the topic, the
GPL does not in any way restrict users. Using GPL code means you
promise *not* to impose restrictions. Feel free to use whatever
license you want, but please do not make inaccurate claims about
them.