Deimos X11 bindings license question

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 6 00:30:14 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 at 06:43:45 UTC, Brad Roberts
wrote:
> On 9/5/2017 10:19 PM, Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I'll also note that if a developer uses GPL software on the
>> server, he doesn't have to give any source to users who access
>> apps on the server remotely.  For example, Google uses a linux
>> kernel with proprietary modifications on a million servers
>> running their search engine, yet my understanding is that they
>> have not made most of those modifications available, as
>> they're not required to under the GPL.  By contrast, every
>> Android vendor has to release the source for their linux
>> kernel.  It's not a coincidence that GPL software took off on
>> the sever, until and except for Android's kernel.
>
> Your understanding is somewhat flawed.  Google is a major
> contributor to the linux kernel as well as quite a few other
> projects.  They are extraordinary members of the open source
> community and the internet at large.  They have one of the most
> proactive security teams out there as another example.
>
> Please, do a little research.  While there's a lot to dislike
> about google and their public facing services, they offset that
> quite a bit in my eyes through how their engineering staff
> behaves.

My understanding is based on research, specifically this lwn
article from 8 years ago, which says they didn't work with the
kernel community much back when they were mostly running linux on
servers:

https://lwn.net/Articles/357658/

Of course, as I noted, they've since had to release the source to
the linux kernels they use for Android, because the GPL requires
it.  I haven't seen anything about their releasing much of their
modifications to their server kernels, please share your research
if you know more about that.