Deimos X11 bindings license question

Vadim Lopatin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 6 03:05:18 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 at 09:23:33 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 September 2017 at 16:10:11 UTC, Gary Willoughby
> wrote:
>> My question, is there a legal way to change the current
>> license to Boost or MIT or something like? Because this
>> particular developer wanted to use it in a project where LGPL
>> was incompatible.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/libX11
>> [2]: https://github.com/nomad-software/x11
>
> I thought x11 has MIT flavor license. Where LGPL comes from? If
> x11 is LGPL licensed header license doesn't affect anything:
> application of LGPL is determined by linking. Though GPL and/or
> LGPL have an exception for system libraries.

Under LGPL, Deimos libX11 has been released.

For binding library, LGPL is actually the same as GPL since it's
linked statically.

Unlike LGPL for which you can create closed source apps if
library is linked dynamically, the only way to use derelict
binding with LGPL license is GPL compatible license for your
application.