Unum rebuttal

mate via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 15 04:19:07 UTC 2017

On Friday, 15 September 2017 at 03:49:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/UnumSORN.pdf
>
> Prof Kahan, who pretty much invented IEEE 754 floating point
> arithmetic, debunks unums. Unums pop up now and then with "why
> don't we support them?"
>
> The bottom line is there is no magic solution to floating point
> problems. Unums just trade one set of problems for another.

Prof. Gustafson refutes the critique on this one paper during a
debate with Prof. Kahan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZAeZBVAzVw

It seems to me unums are a nice design to make floating point
computation accessible to more. It does not solve all problems,
but it does not need to to improve the situation.