The case for integer overflow checks?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 16 09:55:21 UTC 2017

On 9/15/2017 9:39 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> It's not because nobody knows about buffer overflows. C leaves the task on the
> programmer, and the task is too huge for manual labor without help from the
> language, ecosystem and coding practices, of course nobody does it.

The problem with C is that it isn't mechanically checkable. There's no way to
reliably tell if a piece of code is memory safe or not, regardless of how
competent the programmer is or how hard he works.

The programming community is coming around, very slowly, to what the airframe
industry learned generations ago. I.e. you *never* rely on people in the system
not making mistakes.