D for Android

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Tue Sep 19 03:25:08 UTC 2017

Almost four years ago, I asked where Android was at, in this
thread about supporting ARM, and decided to take up the port:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/yhulkqvlwnxjklnogmfv@forum.dlang.org

After releasing linux/x64 cross-compilers for the last couple
years, I finally got all my patches upstream and ldc 1.4 is the
first official release to fully support cross-compiling for
Android/ARM from linux, Windows, and hopefully macOS:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.4.0

As noted there, I've written up full instructions on using the
official release to write D apps for Android, employing the
simple OpenGLES C/C++ sample apps that used to come with the NDK
but ported to D, including demonstrating calling Java methods
through JNI:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Build_D_for_Android

If someone can try it out on a mac and either update that wiki
page with the required brew/port steps and any other mac-isms or
post them here, we can make it easier for mac users too.

Next up, 32-bit ARM Android devices are now supported, I'm
looking at getting 64-bit AArch64 Android up and running.