Simple web server benchmark - vibe.d is slower than node.js and Go?

Sönke Ludwig sludwig+d at outerproduct.org
Fri Sep 22 09:48:47 UTC 2017

Am 21.09.2017 um 20:49 schrieb bitwise:

> Doesn't vibe-d use Fibers?
>
> I tried to build a simple web server with a fiber-based approach once -
> it was horribly slow.
>
> I hope C# (and soon C++) style stackless resumable functions will
> eventually come to D.

It uses them and the overhead actually diminishes once the application
does anything meaningful. To test this, I created two low-level tests
for eventcore that mimic a minimal HTTP server. AFAIR, I got around
300kreq/s on a single core without fibers and around 290kreq/s with
fibers, which amounts to an overhead of about 0.1µs per request.

https://github.com/vibe-d/eventcore/tree/master/examples

Stackless fibers would be really nice to have because of the merged
stacks and the lower amount of reserved memory required (even though
this is not a really big issue on 64-bit systems), but for pure
performance I don't think they would be a critical addition.