code.dlang.org is offline?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Sat Sep 23 10:52:55 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 at 10:32:45 UTC, Bogdan wrote:
> On Friday, 22 September 2017 at 22:13:20 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 September 2017 at 08:14:43 UTC, Szabo Bogdan
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a reason why code.dlang.org is offline?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bogdan
>>
>> It's an ongoing process to make the registry more reliable.
>> However, since a couple of months we run multiple mirrors.
>> At the moment there is:
>>
>> https://code-mirror.dlang.io (EU)
>> https://code-mirror2.dlang.io (US)
>> http://code-mirror3.dlang.io (Heroku, US)
>>
>> - You can run one yourself with --mirror
>> - The next DUB release will contain default fallbacks to these
>> mirrors
>
> Awesome!
>
> This week I could not connect to code.dlang.org on Wednesday
> and Friday, I think... usually it was in the morning around
> 10-11 AM GMT... But it happened to have some failing builds on
> travis too, for the same reason.

FYI the progress so far has been:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1190
https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1198

There's still another one in the queue:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1246

And since dub is shipped by DMD and LDC nowadays, we can skip the
download from code.dlang.org entirely on Travis and avoid another
point of failure:

https://github.com/dlang/installer/pull/218

> It would be awesome if there would be a configuration that
> allows you to select the default mirror.

You can already set multiple registries today with --registry
(can be specified multiple times).

The mirroring is a separate feature, but there has been a short
discussion about a potential syntax already:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1190#issuecomment-320616565

Anyhow the idea is that with the next release of DUB (2017-11-01
with 2.077) sensible default mirrors will be the default
built-ins and especially the annoying Travis errors should
disappear.

Related issues about a global DUB configuration:

https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/641
https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/590