Deprecating this(this)

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Mon Apr 2 06:56:19 UTC 2018

On 01/04/18 03:32, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> The one nagging question I've been having about pure is: how much are we
> actually taking advantage of the guarantees provided by pure?

My problem is that pure do not provide many guarantees.

>  We have
> developed very clever ways of extending the traditional definition of
> pure and invented creative ways of making more things pure, which is all
> great.

Can anyone explain to me what good are the guarantees provided by a
function that is pure but not strictly pure? I couldn't find them.

>  But AFAIK the only place where it's actually taken advantage of
> is to elide some redundant function calls inside a single expression.

You cannot even do that unless the function is strictly pure. For all
D's extension of the pure concept, it weakened, rather than enhanced,
what it means.

> And perhaps infer uniqueness in some cases for implicit casting to
> immutable.

Can you expand on that one?

Shachar