Deprecating this(this)

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Apr 2 13:55:25 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 at 11:17:38 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:

>> What I was wondering too. I mean, breaking changes just don't
>> happen to this language. Now there will be, without even an
>> indication of how existing code would have to be rewritten, or
>> how this large-scale breakage is different than the breakages
>> that just can't happen because reasons. I guess that's why
>> there's always the disclaimer, "We'll only break code if
>> there's a really good reason." That reason is "in case we want
>> to".
>
> Nothing has been lay out yet and people are already freaking
> out. No wonder nothing gets done anymore.

No, the reason nothing gets done is because "that would break
code" is used to kill every proposal that comes along. Someone
that only responds to proposals with "write a DIP" proceeds to
announce a major piece of the language will be deprecated without
writing a DIP himself. Corporate leadership doesn't work with an
open source project. I could have gotten more involved long ago,
but I'd rather not jump on a ship that's sailing in circles. From
the many comments I've seen, I'm not the only one.