D compiles fast, right? Right??

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Apr 2 16:22:33 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 12:09:01PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 04/02/2018 08:35 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> > >
> > > It's been a fair amount of time since somebody has done profiling
> > > of dmd. It needs to be done. There's probably plenty of low
> > > hanging fruit. Speculating about why it is slow is pointless
> > > without data.
> >
> > I profiled it as soon as I had the numbers. I didn't bother to
> > mention it because I thought I'd just work on making dmd faster
> > instead.
> >
> > I seem to be the one who feels the most pain by this, it'd be silly
> > of me to expect anyone else to work on it.
>
> A large and obvious time sink is that unittests in library code are
> built when user code is to be unittested. I'd recommend doing this
> before any other optimization.

Lately this has been mentioned more and more frequently.  So what's the
status on this?  Are we going to move forward with making it so that
-unittest only applies to modules supplied on the command-line?

Has there been an investigation into how __traits(getUnitTests) could be
made to work in spite of this change?

Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares? -- Miquel van Smoorenburg