D compiles fast, right? Right??

Rubn where at is.this
Tue Apr 3 21:17:35 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 at 19:07:54 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 at 10:24:15 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 April 2018 at 18:52:14 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>> My point was that if you want to compare "compile-time"
>>> performance, you should not include the unittests in D's time
>>> since Go does not include unittests.
>>
>> "Go does not include unittests"? Under some interpretations I
>> guess that could be viewed as correct, but in practical terms
>> I can write Go tests without an external library
>> (https://golang.org/pkg/testing/)/ Whether it's a language
>> keyword or not is irrelevant.
>>
>> What _is_ relevant (to me) is that I can write Go code that
>> manipulates paths and test it with everything building in less
>> time that it takes to render a frame in a videogame, whereas
>> in D...
>
> You're totally misunderstanding me.  I was just saying that if
> you want to compare the compile speed of D vs GO (IN THE
> GENERAL CASE), you should not include the unittests in D's
> performance because you weren't including them in your GO
> example.

I feel that's probably the case for any comparisons across two
languages, you are going to have a person that is more
knowledgeable in one language than another. Mistakes are going to
be made, but I think it should be blatantly obvious that one
language is going to compiler slower if it is compiling all the
unittests for a library compared to one that isn't. That's just
blatant bias against D, not a mistake from misunderstanding Go.