D compiles fast, right? Right??

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Apr 4 00:07:26 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, April 03, 2018 16:15:35 H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 10:59:13PM +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

> > > I can write code for days without even saving :)
> >
> > That sentence might as well be fingernails on a blackboard for me! I
> > save compulsively. Whenever I stop typing, C-x C-s it is for me.
>
> [...]
>
> Yeah, after having lost valuable work more often than I'd care to admit
> due to unexpected power outages and other hardware problems, I've
> developed a compulsive twitch in my fingers that automatically saves my
> file every other minute.  It has become so automatic that it's basically
> unconscious now.  I can't imagine not saving for long periods of time.

LOL. I save probably closer to every ten seconds, though I'm not sure
exactly how often it is because of how automatic it is. It's highly
dependent on when I finish a set of commands in vim, so with code, I tend to
save _very_ frequently, whereas with text, it's a lot less frequent, because
there, I often stay in insert mode for while. In addition to just generally
being a good idea, it eliminates the need for vim's swap files, and I hate
it when programs create files like that (be it to restore what you didn't
save when the program crashes or as a backup file every time you save). The
file is what is on disk, and I don't want the program trying to keep track
of unsaved data or old data and make it easy for me to restore it when my
computer crashes. That's what saving is for, and if I want older versions,
I'll use source control. But I guess that there are folks who do a lot of
typing without saving. I sure couldn't though.

Now, it is true that I frequently write a lot of code before bothering to
compile anything - not days worth at a time though.

- Jonathan M Davis