DIP in making: ProtoObject

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 11:05:25 UTC 2018

> I'm working on a simple older idea to get it out of the way in
> preparation for the more difficult DIPs to come:
>
> https://github.com/andralex/DIPs/blob/ProtoObject/DIPs/DIPxxxx.md
>
> This is not officially reviewable yet, but conveys the gist and could
> use some early feedback. Any insight will be appreciated.

Awesome, I remember you talking about this, glad to see it started.

One thing you don't address is the ClassInfo requirement. Every class
instance also has a ClassInfo member, which provides runtime type info,
and the vtable used to call virtual functions. I think this needs to be
discussed in the DIP.

It's a bit confusing that you have typed ProtoObject as extern(C++),
since the vtable layouts between C++ and D are incompatible. What does
this mean?

-Steve