D compiles fast, right? Right??

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:46:32 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 20:29:19 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 20:04:04 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 01:08:48 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Exactly, which is why I'm insisting this - and not compiler
>>> benchmarking, let alone idle chattaroo in the forums - is
>>> where we need to hit. What we have here, ladies and
>>> gentlemen, is a high-impact preapproved item of great general
>>> interest. Shall we start the auction?
>>
>> Are you aware of this PR?
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8124
>
> This is but a layer of paint over the real problem.
> Unneeded Dependencies. Programming should not be a game of
> jenga.
> Piling things on top of other things rarely works out.

Having unittests included from precompiled libraries is a problem
in and of itself.  This is causing many templates to be
instantiated that will never be used by the application, killing
compilation time.

There are also other problems...here's a link to my description
of "Lazy Imports" that I think would help other issues we
currently have.

https://github.com/marler8997/dlangfeatures#lazy-imports