D compiles fast, right? Right??

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:11:30 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 20:02:56 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 19:25:43 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 01:08:48 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> [ ... ]
>>>
>>> Exactly, which is why I'm insisting this - and not compiler
>>> benchmarking, let alone idle chattaroo in the forums - is
>>> where we need to hit. What we have here, ladies and
>>> gentlemen, is a high-impact preapproved item of great general
>>> interest. Shall we start the auction?
>>
>> I have analyzed the problem;
>> And in this case it points to _std.uni_ as the main time-taker.
>
> Could be because of huge tables. Does it point specifically to
> std.uni or its dependencies might count as well?
>
> Anyway to import a binary file as an array? Turbo Pascal had a
> feature like that, it was awesome ;)
>
> On other thought - maybe just .di + separate compilation is it.

There is the string import feature, which can give you a char
array which you can then cast to ubyte slice and from there to a
ubyte pointer you cast that to a pointer of the target type and
slice it. This requires the target type to have no pointers
inside of it.