DUB is unusable (code.dlang.org is almost everytime i tried it down)

Ikeran dhasenan at ikeran.org
Fri Apr 6 03:53:26 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 5 April 2018 at 07:35:24 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> OK, Who is responsible for code.dlang.org. Every time I tried
> dub build I end up with nothing, almost everytime it hangs.
>
> This is really annoying. I can offer free VPS for hosting it.

You can build the Dub registry (assuming you can contact
code.dlang.org enough to build it), then run it with
--mirror=https://code.dlang.org/

It requires categories.json, which is in the root of the git
repo. Note that if you use the latest tag, 2.2.0, categories.json
is out of date. The categories.json from HEAD works with this tag.

To use it, just alias `dub` to `command dub --registry
https://my-registry.example.org`

It depends on mongodb (3.4 should work; 2.6.10, which is the
latest in ubuntu 16.04's repos, will *not*) and, by default at
least, expects a database named 'vpmreg'. You'll probably want to
put up apache or nginx as a reverse proxy to handle ipv4 plus
ipv6 (dub-registry is hardcoded to listen on only one address)
and SSL.

https://gist.github.com/dhasenan/67f7191a56fc663a729395429b6400b8
for the systemd service.

I'm not sure if this actually works. I set one up at
http://dub.ikeran.org; it sucked up 99.3% of my CPU for eight
minutes and told me it had an error reading from
https://code.dlang.org.

This should be documented in the README.md but isn't. I will
augment it with what information I have.