Migrating an existing more modern GC to D's gc.d

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 05:26:28 UTC 2018

On Monday, 9 April 2018 at 19:50:16 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2018 at 07:43:00PM +0000, Dmitry Olshansky via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Monday, 9 April 2018 at 18:27:26 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> [...]
>> > Which kinds of GC's would be of interest?
>>
>> I believe we can get away with parallel mark-sweep +
>> snapshot-based concurrency. It has some limitations but in D
>> land with GC not being the single source of memory it should
>> work fine.
>>
>> > Which attempts have been made already?
>>
>> I still think that mostly precise Immix style GC would also
>> work, it won’t be 1:1 porting job though. Many things to
>> figure out.
>
> Last I remembered, you were working on a GC prototype for D?

Still there, but my spare time is super limited lately, the other
project preempted that for the moment.

> Any news on that, or have you basically given it up?

Might try to hack to the finish line in one good night, it was
pretty close to complete. Debugging would be fun though ;)

Will likely try to complete it at DConf hackathon, I’d be glad
should anyone want to help.