Small Buffer Optimization for string and friends

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 03:36:32 UTC 2018

On Wed., 18 Apr. 2018, 1:00 pm Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d, <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > On 4/8/12 1:33 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> >> - Would generate false pointers
> > Fair point but we're also moving to precise collection :o).
>

> I don't know of a good generic way to do precise collection with unions.

I wonder if precise collectors could leverage runtime support for ambiguous
cases? opPreciseCollect() which might return an array of pointers contained
in T, which would allow runtime logic to determine how the union should be
interpreted... Or maybe the function should receive a delegate which the
function should call on each embedded pointer.

I'm sure some standardised runtime support function can help out in these
cases...