Trello group for build tools, IDEs, OS integration?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 09:33:17 UTC 2018

I am not familiar with Trello (have no account there), but I
noticed that it is easier to keep track of important issues
over there than on a news group. I was thinking that the group
of people that work on the language, runtime and Phobos have
only a small overlap with those working on what's in the
subject line, Martin being a prominent exception.

People involved with the eco system have or _have had_ their
own pet peeves. To name a few:

* Installation paths
  https://forum.dlang.org/thread/20131112205019.12585bbd@marco-leise
* What files to include in the binary releases
  https://forum.dlang.org/post/aymaziydrfhapuiurmpe@forum.dlang.org
* dub and existing tooling or system package managers
  https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/845
  https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/342
* New `version` identifiers for build tools (like dub's Have_*)
  https://forum.dlang.org/thread/scszysuevvjrjhahrvwn@forum.dlang.org

It often revolves around establishing standards for a better
user experience or better separating responsibilities. People
in the group would include package maintainers for various OSs,
IDE developers and tool developers.

The discussions needs to remain visible for future reference
and the outcomes should be collected to become something like a
code style guide, just for those involved with the eco system.

Bugzilla could be put to use for this, but I think it is less
accessible.

1. Is this a good idea at all ?
2. If yes, could affairs be split up enough in the current
   Trello group or would a separate group be ideal ?
3. I'm thinking that the takeaway of the discussions should
   end up on wiki.dlang.org in an "eco system" category. Maybe
   start with one page and then move things to sub pages as
   sections grow. The goal is to have everyone on the same
   page, not everything.

--
Marco