DIP 1013: The Deprecation Process -- Community Review Round 1

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Tue Apr 24 16:39:27 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 at 12:40:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> 2. Somewhere, it should state that the goal is for the typical
> deprecation cycle for a symbol to last approximately two years
> and that the number of releases was picked on the assumption
> that we would have approximately 5 - 6 major releases a year.
> So, if at some point in the future, the typical number of
> releases in a year changes for whatever reason, the number of
> releases of the deprecation cycle should then be adjusted so
> that the deprecation cycle stays approximately two years long.

At the moment we have a clear bi-monthly release cycle (1st of
every odd month).

In the long-run I'd like to transition to one major releases
every 6 months and strictly non-breaking, non-deprecating point
releases every 2 months. So far there wasn't much interest in the
necessary development adjustments though.
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/drcekmxvfszpwifbukzk@forum.dlang.org