DIP 1013: The Deprecation Process -- Community Review Round 1

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Tue Apr 24 16:56:23 UTC 2018

On Monday, 2 April 2018 at 07:05:45 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> DIP 1013 is titled "The Deprecation Process".
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/d8f6bfa1810c9774bd7d3b3dc6a7a6776ed5e17e/DIPs/DIP1013.md

It's good to have this formalized as relying on authoritative
review on a per-case basis doesn't scale.

- I'd urge you to make this process as simple as possible, and
plan for managing and automation.

   Right now it involves several steps over ~2 years requiring
updates to separate repos.
   In particular for language changes that require specialized
compiler changes,
   such changes cannot be easily done by anyone but the original
author.
   Similarily for library changes we're mostly relying on a single
person to manage deprecations.

- It seems that the language features section does not yet
mention https://dlang.org/spec/spec.html updates.

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/d8f6bfa1810c9774bd7d3b3dc6a7a6776ed5e17e/DIPs/DIP1013.md#language-features