Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Apr 25 16:25:55 UTC 2018

Am Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:58:27 -0800
schrieb "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>:

> I use ctags with vim, and it's amazingly efficient: two keystrokes and
> I'm right at the right file in the right place on top of the definition
> of an identifier. Less than 1 second.  Yet when I work with my coworker,
> who uses a fancy GUI-based IDE, he has pull up the search function,
> re-type the identifer that the cursor is already sitting on, then wait
> for the thing to slowly churn through 50,000 source files looking for a
> pattern match, then reach for the mouse and drag the scrollbar down a
> long list of possible matches, then open the file, then navigate to the
> right place in the file. An order of magnitude slower.

His IDE doesn't seem all that fancy. All the ones I came
across had "Jump to definition" (Visual Studio, IntelliJ,
NetBeans, Eclipse, MonoDevelop, Turbo Delphi, Qt Creator,
CoEdit).

F3            in Mono-D
Ctrl+Shift+Up in CoEdit

In Mono-D when you type in the opening '(' of a function call,
it would pop up the documentation and show you which argument
you are currently at. The arrow keys can be used to pick
another function overload with the current one displayed as
e.g. 1/3 in the corner.

> As for renaming files, what has that got to do with Vim?  It's just
> ctrl-Z, `mv orig.d dest.d`. Maybe followed by `git add dest.d`. Two
> seconds max.  Again, being unable to work with the OS efficiently is not
> a sign of an inherent flaw of the OS, just the inexperience of the user.

In a well working IDE like Eclipse for Java, you'd click on
the file, press F2 or whatever the key for a rename is, type
the new name (without extension), press Enter and it would
handle the file rename, git add and updating all references to
the module/class in the loaded projects.
Eat that editor user. :p

I for one can't do Ctrl+Z, "mv orig.d dest.d" and "git add
dest.d" in 2 seconds. I'm a slow typer. :( And that still
doesn't update all my imports referring to orig.d.

Marco