Favorite GUI library?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 26 02:31:07 UTC 2018

On 04/25/2018 05:49 AM, Chris wrote:

> I recently had this issue with Chrome [1] and it is honestly annoying. I
> found out that it had been reported several times and what do Chrome
> devs say? Issue closed, it's an effin feature. To me it looks like they
> were over-intellectualizing the issue and came up with a "feature" that
> is counter-intuitive.
>
> The thing about (Google) Chrome is this: unlike IE, it used to comply
> with web standards. No surprises, no stupid work arounds required, no
> two sets of code. IE went down, Chrome went up, and justly so. But now
> Chrome is becoming the new old IE (Mind you, even MS copped it that they
> had to comply with the standards!). And not to mention the built-in data
> "leakage".

Yea. Google's pretty much decided they own the web and related
standards. (If silicon valley has its way, in a few years time we won't
even have an internet, we'll just have Facebook and Google. Heck, we're
lucky that hasn't already happened...although...in some ways it arguably
has...)

Funny thing is, and I'm no MS apologist, but back when MS was the one
trying to decide how the web should operate, at least they actually made
some vastly BETTER design choices than the W3C did. Ex, IE's old box
model and its JS API for handling separate mouse buttons were actually
SANE compared to the ridiculous equivalents from the W3C (can't help
wondering if the W3C went contrary to MS on those designs just to spite
MS (not that I can completely blame them), though I don't know how the
timeline went and who's designs came first).

But fast-forward to now when it's now Google instead of MS saying "We'll
be the ones designing the web standards, thank you very much, W3C.",
they don't even have the benefit of making BETTER designs like MS did,
they're just making random contradictory decisions. Quirk's Mode
<https://www.quirksmode.org/blog/> is constantly finding new Google
Chrome "interpretations" that are just...well, at best, they're not an
improvement over W3C.

 > But like IE back in the day, everybody uses Chrome by default.

Well yea, all the hipster nerds say Google is God and Chrome is what you
should be using, so it must be so. ;)

At the very least, I just wish there was a good choice. Mozilla used to
be the Burger King of browsers ("Your way, right away."), but they've
spent the last decade hopping on silicon valley's "Our developers matter
more than our users" bandwagon, too. (The "Soup Nazis" of software.)